Armenian References in "The Big Bang Theory" Show


Throughout the 9 seasons of "The Big Bang Theory" show, I have spotted 4 references to Armenians (and one to Lebanon) in seasons 1, 2, 3 and 7. Below are the conversations from the episodes.



Season 1, Episode 14
The Nerdvana Annihilation

Penny (entering): Okay, first of all, what you call a gap was nearly three feet wide, I slipped and skinned my knee.
Leonard: Are you okay?
Penny: Zzz-zz-zz-zz! Second of all, the door to the stairwell of the other building was locked, so I had to go down the fire escape which ends on the third floor, forcing me to crawl through the window of a lovely Armenian family, who insisted I stay for lunch.
Leonard: That doesn’t sound too bad.
Penny: It was eight courses of lamb, and they tried to fix me up with their son.
Leonard: Sorry.

_____________________________________________________________________


Season 2, episode 10
The Vartabedian Conundrum

Leonard: Some mornings, I'll just mosey down to the third floor in my pajamas and have cereal with Mrs. Vartabedian.
Sheldon: Really? I've never once been invited to have cereal with Mrs. Vartabedian.
Leonard: She doesn't like you.
[later]
Sheldon: What could I have possibly done to insult Mrs. Vartabedian?

_____________________________________________________________________


Season 3, Episode 10
The Gorilla Experiment

Mrs. Wolowitz: Senior fitness was cancelled. It turns out you can forget how to ride a bike. I'm fine, but, oy, did Sam Harpoolian eat gravel.
Howard: That's great, Ma!
Mrs. Wolowitz: What's great about an 80-year-old Armenian man with half his chin scraped off?

_____________________________________________________________________


Season 7, Episode 8
The Itchy Brain Simulation

Leonard: Okay, Sheldon, I am out of options. Video store owner, Nursis Manookian, has no next of kin.
Sheldon: Well, you seem hot under the collar, or is that the sweater?
Leonard: Oh, oh, no, no. It’s because I spent all afternoon at the Armenian church where his funeral mass was held. According to Father Solakian, no one attended. Luckily, my trip wasn’t a complete waste. I lit a candle and prayed for your death but I’m not Armenian, so it probably won’t work. This is over, right?
Sheldon: Oh, not necessarily. I suggest you look for long-lost relatives either in Armenia or Lebanon.
Leonard: Listen to me, Sheldon. I am not going to Lebanon to return Super Mario Brothers the movie.
Sheldon: You know, it might be fun. You love hummus.

_____________________________________________________________________


In order to understand the context of the conversations, off-course, you have to watch the episodes. Season 10 is airing now. Keep an eye on the new episodes and tell us if you find any updates.

Photo from: http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/photos/

Armenian References in "The Big Bang Theory" Show Armenian References in "The Big Bang Theory" Show Reviewed by Armen on 12:15:00 AM Rating: 5

2 comments:

  1. I found another one which may or may not be intentional. It is not in the dialog but in S05E12, the magic box Howard is using has the Armenian flag painted on its side. This may be a happy accident though.

    Also, Vartabedian is probably a nod to Woody Allen who has an Armenian character called Vardebedian in "The Gossage—Vardebedian Papers".

    ReplyDelete
  2. In one of the earlier seasons they dance to Aram Khachaturians' "Sabre Dance"

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.